SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 13:19:10 CST

Jajasoon writes:
"Fisher Price stopped making Pixelvision a couple years after they started
because it didn't sell well with kids.  But it sold great with artists.
They refuse to re-release the product because they're a toy company and
don't want to market to video artists, but they could easily sell the thing
for triple the price & keep them moving off the shelves.  Whatever happened
to "anything for a buck"???

If you ever see one at a garage sale (yes, I know someone who snagged one
for $10 at a garage sale!) or used, grab it!  They're truly incredible
little things. "

This is reminiscent of the Daisy (?) camera, which anticipated those throw-
away cameras on the market now.  It was made with a plastic lens that was
full of distortion and professional photographers latched on to it for
the interesting visions it created.  There's a book that collects such
work--I can find the biblio. if anyone wants it.

--Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN