SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

From:
Dan Streible <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 13:10:44 CST
I agree with my right honorable friend from UIUC.  We need to be more
active and concerned about the move to eliminate public broadcasting.  The
hearings are revealing in that they show (1) there are some wonderful
voices, lacking in the conventional political spin shows on TV, speaking on
behalf of government's ability to nuture a great society, and (2) there is
a level of neanderthal attack that ought to be beyond the pale but is
instead allowed to stand without critical coverage by our news industry.

With PBS and NPR fall things like Internet communications too.

Watching Prime Minister's Question Time from Great Britain, one is reminded
how conservative American conservatism has become.  The Tory leader will
advocate many welfare state programs, including this past week --
government subsidies for sports education at the highest level and the
welfare of animals.

The arguments for supports arts, humanities, and education are so easy to
make it should be a piece of cake to win on this issue.  But not if we only
watch the debate from the sidelines.

Dan