SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

From:
edwin jahiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 1995 15:03:40 CST

>VOX POPULI : Adding something to my earlier posting about calling PBS and
>registering your opinions Re: its privatization (i.e. annihilation) as per
>Newton Gingrich. Call 1-800-CPB-2190. (Signed : Edwin Jahiel)
>
>*******
>Rest assured, some of us are calling the opinion line *daily*
>and encouraging our friends, family and co-workers at our
>day jobs to do the same.
>
>I agree that most of the programming on PBS is neither
>elitist nor liberal, although the independent film production
>company I work with would fall into the latter category.
>Chances are the program that funded our last film, ITVS
>(Indepedent Television Service), will be the first CPB program
>to be cut, so hounding the powers is now part of my job
>description.
>
>Melissa Cahill (Tonelli)
Melissa,thanks from me and thanks from
America-that-could-and-should-be-beautiful.
I agree with your "I agree" above and ...............................

.........I hasten to add that L i b e r a l is one of the best words in
the American language. Whatever one's qualms about Teddy Kennedy ( I have
none, BTW, since any life so scrutinized would reveal some personal aspects
that are not exactly saintly), when, last week or so, he spoke so well
(I-forget-where --was on tv, C-Span perhaps) and came right out telling
Democrats that they should not shuffle, hem & haw,try to conciliate
everyone play center-field, he stressed that Democrats ought to be proud of
their Liberal history and not apologize for it. Right on! as we used to say
years ago.

Be this as it may, the fact remains that liberal (small font) and liberal
(huge font) films,programs, etc. on TV are about just as common on networks
(60 Minutes often is, directly or by implication) and on cable as they are
on PBS.

Edwin Jahiel, Cinema Studies, U of Illinois

" Le mauvais gout mene au crime (Stendhal)"