SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 4

From:
David Desser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 1995 20:05:04 CST
     Yes, Kurosawa's latest film, released in Japan a year ago, is called
"Mada da yo" (Not Yet). It has not yet been released theatricallyt,in the
US (or Gt. Britain to my knowledge) nor might it ever, but it is also,
therefore (?) not yet available on vide. Reviews from Japan were kind, at
best, with most people who saw it coming away extremely disappointed,
finding it overtly but also self-servingly autobiographical. Given the
failure artistically and commercially of RHAPSODY, and, to a lesser extent,
DREAMS, it may be that Kurosawa's latest film will be a long time coming
overseas.
   As for the documentary AK, my memory flashes on Chris Marker (perhaps
not inappropriately), but I don't want to say more, except I am unaware of
its video availability through normal, legal channels.

DD

David Desser,UIUC Cinema Studies
2109 FLB/707 S. Mathews, Urbana, IL 61801
217/244-2705