SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 3

Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 14:18:05 CST

I don't recall seeing any extended discussion on HEAVENLY CREATURES, the
New Zealand film about two girls who plot a murder (from a real-life story).

Any thoughts? I've been struck by how reviewers seem to react to the film
based on their own preconceptions, eg. the girls are monsters, the girls
are innocents who make a disastrous mistake, the girls are victims of an
oppressive society/family structure, etc. How do others on the list see
the film? (assuming you *have* seen it)

--Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN