SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 2

Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 1995 13:12:18 CST
On Fri, 13 Jan 1995 09:17:01 CST DOUG SIMPSON said:

> However, a person could take this the next step forward, and
>say that all film is by its own nature self-referential. A zoom in,
>a pan, a special effect, any added or deliberately chosen film action
>"shows" to the audience that what is being watched is a creation, and
>not realistic, even a documentary about events that have really
>occurred.
> Doug Simpson

There are people who argue along the above lines. One the other hand,
(academics always have several hands) an argument could me made that
photographic images are transparent, unless specific measures are
taken to foreground the technique in contrast to the subject.

Consider: What are the implications of people saying "This is my
mother" when displaying a snapshot of a woman? Clearly the small piece
of paper is not literally "mother." But for the purposes at hand
one can elide the middle words in the sentence "This is a picture of
my mother."

Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
<[log in to unmask]> <[log in to unmask]>