SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 4

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 1994 00:28:38 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask]
Date:    12/24/94 10:17 AM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

Re: the name Aelita in Soviet society:

My information is strictly anecdotal. I know many Russian emigrees and, in
fact, I produce hundreds of diplomas and resumes for female Russian
scientists who have come to America. I was struck by the number of women of
late middle-age who have the name Aelita. I made several inquiries and they
told me that the name was inspired by the novel and the film. I have no text
confirmation of this -- just my own personal observation confirmed by many
Russian people.

Gene Stavis, School of Visual Arts - NYC