SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 3

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 1994 18:33:05 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask] (Richard J. Leskosky)
Date: 12/20/94 3:40 PM

[Editor's note: This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

Last Friday's (12/16/94) X-FILES took me by surprise in using one of the
words I thought could not be said on TV, even on FOX, at least (or
especially) during prime time. I had taped the episode and checked it
twice (in the spirit of the season), and it is definitely there.

This particular episode takes place in an a home for the elderly where
Alzheimer patients are getting an experimental drug and, on the sly, some
East Asian folk medicine. The combination not only improves their mental
faculties to the point of telekinesis but also brings out various repressed
hostilities. In a scene where two patients are quarreling, one says to the
other, "Aw f**k off, Stan!"

Did anyone else catch this? Has anyone heard about either a loosening of
guidelines or any censure from the FCC?

--Richard Leskosky

Richard J. Leskosky office phone: (217) 244-2704
Assistant Director FAX: (217) 244-2223
Unit for Cinema Studies University of Illinois