SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 3

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 1994 08:51:36 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask]
Date: 12/14/94 10:40 PM

[Editor's note: This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

RE: PBS
     >Hi everyone!

     >I am currently doing a paper on PBS for a course I am taking and am
    >looking for some information. I am looking for some of the following:
[rest deleted]

Dear Sean Atkins:
Good questions. Can't answer them all online, but the information is
available. Short answer: no, it is not like CBS.
There is actually a lot of information recently come to light about PBS
structure as a result of the controversies.
The Benton Foundation has just put out a good bibliography edited by Susan
Ivers called something like "Independent Research on Public Broadcasting."
You might be able to get it at the UCLA library or at the Academy of Motion
Picture Arts and Sciences -- or from the Benton Foundation.
Since you are at Disney, you might want to check out my dissertation
"Masterpiece Theatre and the Politics of Quality: A Case Study". I know it is
in the UCLA library, since I deposited a copy myself. There is also a
dissertation on the history of KCET on deposit. Through interlibrary loan or
UMI you could get a dissertation on the history of WGBH. Also, call
310-843-3699 and ask Joe Piechowski to send you a complete set of COMINT
magazines, which has covered PBS controversies from a conservative
perspective for the last four years. There's quite a bit over funding and
structure issues. The Heritage Foundation can supply you with my 1992
"Backgrounder" called "Making Public Television Public" and two subsequent
lectures. The New York Times published an op-ed in 1992 called "Getting Big
Bird Off The Dole" which dealt with similar issues, in any library or via
Nexis. Hoynes and Croteau have a book called Public Television for Sale?
which I gave a good review in the latest Journal of Historical Radio Film and
Television and which has excellent tidbits. Also very interesting is the
report of the 20th Century Fund called "Quality Time?" available from their
NY office or maybe in a library out there. Finally, Marilyn Lashley did a
very good job with "PBS: Panacea, Public Trust or Pork Barrel?" from Westview
Press, I believe, or the library.
You should also check Journal Graphics for the transcripts of Crossfire,
Inside Politics, etc. CNN has given the best coverage to the issue of any
television journalism, and I believe better than any newspaper as well.
Harper's had a fascinating article by Lewis Lapham called something like
"Bye, Bye Big Bird" last year (it was a cover story). Billy Tashman had a NY
Times Op-Ed about a month ago criticizing Sesame Street.
 Disney just made a deal with PBS for "Bill Nye the Science Guy" so you can
also ask your distribution department.
Hope this is helpful. Good luck with your research!
Larry Jarvik
Director, Washington Office
Center for Study of Popular Culture