SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 3

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 1994 09:03:11 CST
I recently received the following notification from the Southeast
Media Fellowship Program, which funded my most recent documentary
which will be broadcast on NC public television this month:
"We are sorry to inform you that the National Endowment for the
Arts has eliminated the Regional Media Arts Fellowship Program which
includes the Southeast Media Fellowship Program, as well as the
American Film Institute's Independent Film and Videomakers Grant
Program.  In authorizing the FY 1995 budget, the U.S. Congress
reduced the NEA's budget by 2%, forcing the Endowment to make
$3 million in cuts.  Of that $3 million, $1.2 million or 40% was
cut from programs that directly fund individual artists.  Re-granting
programs that support independent film and videomakers were cut
$665,000.
Those with concerns about these cuts can contact their Senators
and Representatives to let them know of the impact on their
communities and can write to Jane Alexander, Chair, National
Endowment for the Arts, 1100 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington D.C.
20506.  For information on funding opportunities for media artists
contact your state arts council or the Media Arts Program, Room 720,
NEA, 1100 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, D.C. 20506,
202/682-5454.