SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 3

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 1994 19:01:38 CST
Author:  Gloria Monti <[log in to unmask]> at SMTP-LINK
Date: 12/16/94 6:34 PM

(Editor's note: This message was sent by the "Author" noted above, not by
Jeremy Butler.)

> James Simon Kunen (and whatever happened to *him*?) wrote in THE STRAWBERRY
> STATEMENT, an often humorous account of the Columbia uprising, "I believe
> in the statment, 'Don't trust anyone over thirty, but think they should
> remove the zero."

 I'll tell you what happened to him the hypocrite: he became a lawyer.
 Maybe he should have killed himself instead. :-)
 Whatever happened to the film *The Strawberry Statement?* I have never
been able to find it. I only saw it once on Italian TV, dubbed.

> Walter Benjamin took
> his life when faced with the prospect of capture by the Nazis. I have nbo
> idea what motivated Metz, DeBord or others, but have to regard their actions
> with a mixture of sadness and respect.

 Not the same, my friend. Really not the same. Primo Levi, who
survived the holocaust, also took his life thirty years later. I believe
history is on the side of Benjamin&Levi, but not on the side of Metz--not
with the same degree of magnitude.

 Gloria Monti