SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 3

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 1994 17:54:12 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask]
Date: 12/15/94 10:45 AM

[Editor's note: This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

Mike Kudreiko writes:
"JUST A QUICK COMMENT ON THE MIC THING. THERE'S MARKINGS ON THE GROUND GLASS
OF THE FILM CAMERA VIEWER THAT GIVE "SAFE AREAS". ONE OF THESE IS FOR
PROJECTION (ACADEMY). FULL FRAME IS THE ENTIRE FIELD OF VIEW THROUGH THE
EYEPIECE OF THE CAMERA. A MICROPHONE MAY BE SEEN IN FULL FRAME BUT NOT INTO
THE PROJECTION SAFE AREA THEREFORE NOT SEEN IN THEATRICAL RELEASE. BEACAUSE OF
THE DIFFERENT ASPECT RATIO OF TELEVISION, IT BEING MORE VERTICAL THAN 1:85
(STANDARD 35MM PROJECTION), YOU SOMETIME SEE THINGS THAT WERE NEVER MEANT TO BE
SEEN."

Sometimes, though, those visible booms still sneak into theatrical release.
I can recall several examples, though the first that caught my attention
were in the early 1970s--THIEVES LIKE US and WALKING TALL.

--Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN