SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 2

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 09:05:31 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask]
Date:    12/11/94 5:02 PM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

Cal Pryluck wrote about possible pathways to make it in film. It was refreshing
to hear someone saying that all the answers do not lie in film school.
I believe the heart of learning film is on location, watching and talking with
vets in the field. Also, there is a lot of information in magazines and books.

I did not go to film school and have learned what I know through reading and
learning from others on shoots. I assisted a DP for 6 months and worked in a
 rental house to learn more.

There is a lot I don't know anything about. A reason I'd like to be able to pose
questions to those with more expertise than me. Some of which I may have been
able to learn in film school. I don't know much film theory. Right now, though,
I am not required to know it to be paid. I load mags, pull focus, clap slates;
not talk theory.

I do continue to try to learn more about theory and things that will help me
on a shoot. I have gotten tired of being knocked on the Internet for saying
similiar things as Cal. Thank you for showing there are alternate routes
to making it.

Sarah Bowman