SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 2

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 08:58:49 CST
Author:  [log in to unmask]
Date:    12/11/94 4:02 PM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

I must protest the posting of this petition regarding prop. 187. It has
nothing whatsoever to do with the scholarly study of film and television,
rather is a partisan political initiative. The posting is manifestly totally
inappropriate for such a forum and should be removed at once.  Further, the
MLA has no standing as such to have any special expertise in immigration law
and is an inappropriate venue for such a petition.
Signing such a petition, I am sure, will discredit the reputation of any film
or television scholar who is foolish enough to participate, since it would
reveal a lack of prudence.
I would appreciate receiving, via private email if not in the public
postings, the putative intellectual justification of the SCREEN-L editor for
admitting this posting. Precisely which scholarly criteria did this prop. 187
posting supposedly meet in relation to the study of film and television?

Larry Jarvik, PhD
Director, Washington Office, Center for the Study of Popular Culture