SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 2

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 19:31:26 CST
On Thu, 8 Dec 1994 20:01:20 -0500 Chris Cox said:
>Please unsubscribe me from Film -Screen -L

Hi...

I've just deleted your subscription to SCREEN-L.

Here's a little pointer for future reference:

Your message (see above) was distributed to every subscriber to SCREEN-L,
adding to general Internet clutter. Then I had to manually erase your
account. There's a simpler, cleaner way to depart from most mailing lists.

Many Internet mailing lists are run by a piece of software called LISTSERV.
To get on or off such a list, you just send mail to LISTSERV, which handles
all that bureaucratic business automatically. Rather than sending mail to
the list itself, as in your message above, you e-mail LISTSERV and you put
the following in the first line of the message:

signoff name-of-list or
unsubscribe name-of-list or even just
unsub name-of-list

Hence, with SCREEN-L, you would e-mail [log in to unmask] (not
[log in to unmask]) and put this in the first line:

signoff screen-l

No muss, no fuss.

Yours in tidier Internetting...

Jeremy Butler [log in to unmask]
SCREEN-L Coordinator [log in to unmask]
Telecommunication and Film Dept. * University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa *