SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 2

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 09:37:24 CST
Author:  Kellner <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 12/13/94 5:06 AM

[Editor's note: This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

As should be an all too common saying now, the Indian (or Indic,
for that matter) film history is, in terms of output, the biggest
in the world. It has its own roots, its own traditions, its
own dynamics (speaking about *Bollywood*
 mainly, that is). It has
its specific traditions and dynamics (economic, especially political
and with reference to mass entertainment), and has, at least to
my knowledge, hardly ever been accounted for in film theory.

My personal background is not film theory, but rather the dusty
paperwork of classical Indian philosophy. Anyway, Indian film history
is one of my more *serious* hobbies, and I always found the general
issues involved in it (Third Cinema etc.) useful not only, but also
for reflecting upon the background of my main activities, viz.,
translating and *comparing* concepts.

I would like to know whether anybody out there, probably more involved
with film theory than me, is interested in popular Indian cinema, mainly
as a case-study of *Bollywood as opposed to Hollywood*, its distribution
policy etc. I myself tried to organize a festival of popular Indian
cinema in Vienna this summer, but failed for reasons which are not

 [D [D [D [A [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [
 C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C
  [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [C [D [D [, in some respects,
due to the specific setup of distribution policy in this area.

Anyway, this is just to attract attention from those people who
might be working in this area (Third Cinema theory, for example) and
establish contacts. Hope this does not sound too confused or confusing.

Birgit Kellner
Institute for Indian Philosophy
University of Hiroshima