SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 1

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 1994 11:30:04 -0600
I haven't had direct contact with Florida State but have at least one
student who wants to go there if she ever scrapes up the money for post-grad
work.  I've received a lot of their publicity material lately, and their
program looks very ambitious.  They've just inaugurated a new film study
center.  With the Disney/Universal studios in Florida, I wonder if FSU is
trying to build contacts and revive the dream of Florida as a Hollywood
South, abandoned by 1915 or so.

FSU also hosts an annual conference on film and lit.  I haven't been to one
of them for some time, but found it to be one of the more pleasant academic
gatherings I'd been to.  Tallahassee isn't quite as nice as further south
in January, but it beats the Northern Plains!

--Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN