SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 1

From:
Patrick Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 23:45:39 -0700
BOYS TOWN A POLITIKAL IDEAOLOGY ?
FATHER FLANAGAN A FRAUD ?  next on geraldowinfreymonteldonahue.

Gene Stavis writes that the movie BOYS TOWN is about a mythical america
and is no more accurate today that it was in 1938

     Well, how do you really feel about Republicans today ?  Take a deep
breath and smell the coffee, like we do in Seattle, and let's chat about
BOYS TOWN.

First, [ignoring all common ground], you might be surprised to know that
BOYS TOWN  is a real place, not a micky rooney movie. "Mythical" is a
funny word is as "accurate".  Can ANY movie be "accurate" even
documentaries ? The short answer is that the interpretation is in the eye
of the beholder, many beholders.  Which American myth do you subscribe to?

Second and most important, BOYS TOWN NEBRASKA is a real place, has been
for over 70 years, does great work, and is one of the most successful
longterm programs for youth in the entire nation.  As a public affairs
producer here in seattle, I aired a series of PSA's in 1990 hosted by Howard
Hesseman, Willard Scott, Richard Kiley, Michael Landon, Nike Ditka and
"DR. J --Julius Erving, who gave strong endorsements to the work and
mission of BOYS TOWN [series produced by Doug Wyles prod. NY,NY.]

They help thousands of kids, troubled boys and girls and families every
year. They turn out productive members of society from their long term
program,  and they want to expand into cities across the nation.  Not bad
for a program that started with 5 kids and a real guy named Father Flanagan.
[BTW, BTOWN has plenty of staff that arn't priests -- if anyone is
concerned].

  I worked on a documentary about  Hollywood street kids -- runaways who
get stranded there -- and later ended up volunteering for a year there
in a crisis center to get those kids off the streets and into programs.
Do you think we don't need a BOYS TOWN ? Let us leave myth for reality :
There are ten THOUSAND runaway kids on  the street at any given moment
in LA [source : LAPD, Hollywood Division].

And to serve those kids in LA, the city that entertains the world and
reaps billions of dollars for its stars and producers, funds ONE (1)
shelter that houses less than 20 kids. [It's on Beachwood dr. off Franklin,
in the shadow of the Hollywood sign, for those of you in LA.], called
OPTIONS HOUSE.  And It's the private sector that picks up the slack, guy.

    I've seen more stretch limos picking up young boys or girls on Santa
Moncia Blvd. for a night of sex-for-a-meal just to survive, than I have at a
shelter.   The reality is BOYS TOWN is a great idea.  IT worked then and
it works now and we needed more like them 10 years ago, not tomorrow.

And finally, the people who work with troubled kids have as much interest
in political ideology, Louis B. Mayer and Newt Gingrich as Mother Thresa
has in Club Med.  They just need help, and NOW,. . .

. . .and that is what our focus should be : What IS this BOYS TOWN, and what
does it do and does it work ?  IF the sappy old film is all we've got, whose
fault is that ?  It must be those damn radical republicans that control
Hollywood.

 Check it for yourself.  1 800-448-3000 may still work. if not, it's
BOYS TOWN, NEBRASKA.  How hard could it be to find . . . or find out ?
Get educated and make a difference.

Patrick Butler
Seattle, WA