SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 1

From:
Christopher Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 19:40:05 -0500
I thought Natural Born Killers was positively brilliant.  At the time, I
thought it was the best film of the year but then Pulp Fiction came out.

I'm not usually a fan of Stone but everything he tried worked beautifully.
The campy cartoonish ways people were killed, the media frenzy which
whipped off its requisite frenzy in the public.  The woman holding up
the sign "Murder Me, Mickey" was perfect.

And the scene with Dangerfield and the warped 50's sitcom was the most
powerful sequence I can recall seeing, well, ever.  Stone totally blew
the covers off those execrable 'everyone is one happy family' bullshit
shows.  Everyone talks about how bad the world is now and how it used to
not be like that but the difference is that NOW people admit it. Back
then, it all just got swept under the rug.  I think this was Stone's
point - perhaps he was actually trying to show one _good_ effect of
the expansion of media and television in American culture. Now people at
least admit that there are some problems.

I never thought I'd say anything like this but Dangerfield deserves some
sort of Oscar for his performance. What category would he be selected for?
This was a film marked with wonderful performances, the best from
Dangerfield and Tommy Lee Jones.

I can udnerstand why people would be upset by the film - I guess some of us
want to go to the movies and just 'escape' and see something pretty and
happy.  That's cool but I go to the movies to see different interpretations
of the world I struggle to figure out every day of my life and this film
certainly presented one of the most unique and intriguing viewpoints in a
long time.

-chris