SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 1

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 09:06:46 -0600
Gene Stavis recommends
"Working Girl"; "Wall Street"; "Norma Rae"; "Matewan"; "Educating Rita"

Indeed
Good suggestions all. One thing that always intrigued me about WORKING GIRL,
but of which I have seen little discussion, is the ending of that film.
She brushes off--with little or no concern--the tacky but vital and lively
community of family and friends on Staten Island to happily (?) take up
residence in an office that is one of scores in one of hundreds of
similar office buildings in Manhattan. I'
ve never quite figured out if that last shot is supposed to be ironic.

Let me also mention, if you're at all interested in foreign films, Chabrol's
STORY OF WOMEN (about a woman who becomes a village abortionist in Vichy
France out of economic necessity) and of course the recent film version
of GERMINAL.

Michael Moore's ROGER AND ME is also a "popular" work about class and
labor, albeit a documentary. See also Barbara Koppel's AMERICAN DREAM, about
the labor strike at Hormel here in MN. Lee Grant did a film about the
WILMAR 7, a group of small-town bank tellers who went on strike.

--Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN