SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 1

From:
Denis Simard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 1994 18:11:38 -0500
   Here at Universite de Montreal (department of history of art and film
studies), we are actually working in the development of a multimedia
classroom intended for the teaching of history of art and cinema. At this
time, the multimedia classroom consist o f an integrated set of tools for
the projection/diffusion of films, video and slides.

   We would like, however, to make another step in introducing computer
and telecommunication technologies into these multimedia tools. We haven't
yet a precise idea of what should be these tools and what purpose they
should serve, since we don't know yet v ery much about the technological
possibilities for these kind of applications. But here are some general
purposes that we are keeping in view:

   - The main purpose of the multimedia tools in the classroom is to help
the teacher to give his course, and not for directly interacting with
students, although it is in our projects to develop in the futur these
kind of tools.

   - A computer in a multimedia classroom should extend in a significant
way the use of the traditional tools in this area. This includes features
like 1) having access (on a CD-ROM or on a server) to high resolution
images or video, 2) a good technology t o display these images on a screen
without loosing to much in quality, 3) software tools that can handle
these images or videos (capabilities of zooming, of viewing frame by
frame, etc.), and which have, at least partially, an interface that can be
manipu late by non professionnal people.

   - It would be usefull (but is it realist?) if this computer was
connected to a server containing database of images or videos. We could
imagine, for example, that a presentation software gets a part of its data
from this server. Or we could also imagin e that one can prepare his
presentation on a remote computer and download his data on the classroom
computer before he gives his or her course.

   Any suggestion about hardware or software tools, or about possible
usages of a computer in teaching will be welcome.

TIA!

DENIS SIMARD | e-mail: [log in to unmask]
                                | maison: 514-271-4136
Etudes cinematographiques | travail: 514-343-6111 (#7858)
Universite de Montreal | fax: 514-343-2393