SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 1

From:
Gene Stavis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 1994 10:09:21 PST
Chris:

<<I can udnerstand why people would be upset by the film - I guess some of us
want to go to the movies and just 'escape' and see something pretty and
happy.  That's cool but I go to the movies to see different interpretations
of the world I struggle to figure out every day of my life and this film
certainly presented one of the most unique and intriguing viewpoints in a
long time.>>

I'm glad you have come to such a perfect understanding of why some of us
don't like NBK. Perhaps some of us are tired of adrenalin production as the
chief product of a film. Perhaps we object to the film on intellectual or
aesthetic grounds. Personally, I would think that it would be "unique and
intriguing" if someone would address the questions posed by NBK or "Pulp
Fiction" in some way other than the trendy "violence is cool" and "I was just
making a satire on this attitude" kind of dribble that most supporters of the
style come up with. Furthermore, most admirers and creators of this genre
seem to to be the most distant from its reality and effects in everyday life.
Personally, I'm getting tired of middle-class sensation seekers wallowing in
something that they have the distance to contemplate as "cool". You should
try to look beyond the "trend of the moment" and widen your horizons.