SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 1

From:
Chris Amirault <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 17:49:39 -0500
As each week goes by, I remain amazed at the lack of commercial success and
critical attention given _My So-Called Life_, the ABC drama (Thursdays, 8-9
pm). Last week, according to _Entertainment Weekly_, the show finished
next-to-last in the ratings, which I find absolutely astonishing. I
personally haven't felt this committed to a show in years, yet, save for a
few friends who are similarly enthralled, it seems no one else in the
country is watching.

This is a great show for many, many reasons: great writing, great
direction, great characters (including the only gay teen you'll ever see on
a weekly drama series, btw), great everything. I'd be happy to extoll its
virtues at some other time. Right now, what I want to know is, do any of
y'all watch? Why is this show dying such an unpleasant death? Is anyone out
there writing about this show?

Feeling worried about the ABC axe,

Chris Amirault