SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 5

Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 1994 12:37:51 CST
I read your critique of Tarantino with interest. I saw Pulp first and said
what's the big deal. saw dogs second and I can't figure out why in the hell
Tarantino is the fave flav of the week. In Pulp he disguises his obvious
racism by having a black man say what is apparently on his mind. In RD he
didn't even trry to disguise. I found myself wincing in RD every time I heard
the word. In Pulp i found it easier to take becasue I have heard many blacks
use the term in the same manner. Beyond that in Pulp I grew extremely weary
of his flaunting his able memory for film and TV trivia. On leaving (it was
so boring that I could only make it to the ear scene.) RD I turned to my
comapnaion and told him exactly what you said the emperor has no clothes.