SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 4

From:
wheeler dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 13:57:30 CST
In reponse to Tony Williams' query, here is the address of Foothill
Video:
Foothill Video
PO Box 547
Tujunga CA 91043
(818) 353 8591.
They have a huge catalogue, and most of the features are $7.95 each!!
Or ten for $75!! Plus shipping & handling as follows: $3.05 for the
first tape; .50 for each additional tape on same order.
They have tons of B westerns which don't interest me at all, but here
are some films that sem of real interest to me, and perhaps to other
listmembers:
Silents: THE UNHOLY THREE (1925)
WEST OF ZANZIBAR (1929)
THE SORROWS OF SATAN (1926)
IT (1927)
and lots of early shorts & animation;
of features, just randomly they have THE SERVANT, the brilliant Losey
film for $7.95, and ten pages of foreign films (the foreign titles & B
westerns go for $14.95 each; buy any three & get the fourth one free),
and so you can find XALA (from Senegal) and Yilmaz Guney's astounding
BABA (The Father) for $14.95 each.
The quality is, however, highly variable. Some of the titles are OK;
some are very dupey. At best, they are research tapes, but of
inestimable value nevertheless. And they have such great oddities as
THE VAMPIRE'S GHOST, a 1945 Republic film written by Leigh Brackett
(co-writer of THE BIG SLEEP and the first STAR WARS) and directed by
Lesley Selander, which for my money has a great deal of influence on
INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE, dealing as it does with a neo-colonialist
male vampire in modern-day Africa who feds on his servants & runs a
gambling joint on the side (this last part wasn't, of course, in
IWTV).
So, as they say on the streets of New York, check it out!