SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 4

From:
"P. Feng" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 1994 12:57:07 CST
> From:    Errol Vieth <[log in to unmask]>
>
> J Roberson wrote:
> >Opinions and ideas about *The adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert* ?
> >Anyone - from any angle. I won't give one of my own because I'd like to
> >see anything - and elaborating on the topic is chancy given this flaky
> >connection ;)
>
> I enjoyed it because it was so different from the mainstream films that
> come out of the US.  That in itself has got to be a plus factor.  It had
> little of the very _heavy_ violence associated with many US films that are
> not straight feel-good efforts.  But what can anyone say about this film?
>
> The feeling on leaving the theatre was that there were no easy answers.
> The film made no statement about political correctness, about how it was

(1) Is it appropriate to discuss drag queens vis-a-vis political
correctness?  It seems to me that camp sidesteps such questions by
completely inhabiting them; that is, to say that PRISCILLA avoids the
p.c. issue is like saying that a Tom Clancy novel doesn't promote
capitalist ideology.

(2) Is the term "P.C." here being used in its earlier, queer/lesbian
context, or its appropriated right-wing context?

(3) And certainly the portrait of Pilipina women was not politically
correct under any definition.

Peter Feng