SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 4

Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 1994 14:00:30 CST
I saw this after recommendations from widely differing sources. I
rolled about roaring, and wondered why South Africa is not producing
films like this. If only we could confront our South Africanness the
way this film confronts the many inflections of identity. (In film
terms we're known for providing locations for American Ninja movies.)
I loved the way it surprised me, and held that moment for a beat, so
that I knew that my surprise had been anticipated. The compulsion of
a happily heterosexual ending, or the abused-therefore-gay child -
were gleefully overturned. As to Abba, this movie must be why they
existed. I did wonder a bit at the role non-gay women played.
Ouch.
    It has it all - quotation, performance, endings - I predict paper-
and thesis additions.
    Gabeba (contemplating the great South African road movie)
Gabeba Baderoon
Department of English
University of Cape Tonw