SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 3

From:
Gary Fuchs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 1994 12:28:40 CST
Maybe someone can help me out... I'm trying to find out the details of
a film I saw in the mid 1980's in LA on a late-night premium cable
channel, but which I cannot find any info on. The story takes place
in a French castle that is being occupied by the German Army during
WWII. A member of the Resistance from the village adjacent to the
castle executes a methodical plan of sabotaging the castle's infra-
structure in order to render the German presence untenable.

I somehow got it stuck in my head that the title was THE CASTLE
and that the cast included Max. Schell -- but it is clearly NOT the
film version of Kafka's novel "K", titled THE CASTLE (1968) and
starring Schell. So I must have confused myself somewhere along
the line while trying to recall the film... but I could have sworn it
had this title, and had this actor in it...

I'm starting to wonder a little bit whether I conjured the whole thing
in my imagination (if I did, then my mind certainly fired life to a
gripping image stream, one possessing methodical, mounting,
relentless narrative force and suspense, plus a wonderfully cogent
structure...) Can anybody shed any light on the subject?

Gary Weston Fuchs