SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 3

Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 10:25:30 CST
..But if y'all wanna discuss marginal films why not Name Jun Piak or Sandy
..Benning,  or Extreem Private Eros, or Yalah? What is this a contest to see
..who knows the most about "the other" - ie a reduction of the other to
..triva?

Having witnessed page after page of messages about Quentin Tarantino, I
sometimes wonder if this is not a fan club.  I find the posts about other
films and their directors very interesting.  I remember one conference where
Stuart Kaminsky, Garth Jowett, and I sat over dinner planning a Hugo Haas
film festival...a truly trivial but wonderful evening, unliked the labored
agonizings of whether Tarantino's use of """""THE ****N**** WORD"""""" makes
him a racist.  When I saw the film, I thought it was a compilation of
homages to various films that I had enjoyed more, a kind of metamovie--one
that has no real experiences except other movies to think about.
    So let me encourage others to send along trivia that relieves the days
and lets me think about seeing Canadian or French movies I don't know about.
After all, in my introductory classes in the City Colleges of Chicago, a
third of my students have never watched "Casablanca", which they would
classify as an "obscure" movie.
               Gerald Forshey
               Dept of Humanities and Philosophy
               Daley College--City Colleges of Chicago