SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 2

Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 1994 12:18:25 CST
>In a recent discussion on the merrits of _Pulp Fiction_ a friend refused to
>recognize any experience of guilt at enjoying and even reveling in the violent

Your friend is weird. Get a new one. ;)

I for one *did* feel some guilt reveling/laughing at the violence (especially
Marvin's surreptitious speed-bump splash) - and was initially affected
by the various slurs - though by then end of the movie both seemed normal.
What's *really* scary is that after the film I smoked and drank - and normally
I smoke only under duress and drink on rare occasions. . .and furthermore
my speech was peppered with various curse words - though not racial epithets.

>or am I the odd duck in the mix?  Is guilt commonly experienced by others
>through anti-hero identification?  I've always contended that for one reason
>or another that was the point of such flicks-- to jar you emotionally.

I don't know about the point being to jar people, but I think that your
guilt reaction is rather typical.

J Roberson