SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994

Sender:
From:
RACHEL BELL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 1994 10:08:00 +1100
 Lam Kit Yee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm now working on a paper titled "The Generation X". People said that
>"Reality Bites" (co-star Winona Ryder and Ethan Hawke) is a typical Gen X
>movie. Do you agree or disagree? Are there any other Gen X movies which
>are useful for my study? Thanks in advance!

Since the baby buster generation is more racially diverse than the
population at large, I think it's important to look at films that
appeal to the non-white, non-male, non-middle class segment of
this generation.  People have accepted films such as "Reality Bites"
and "Slacker" as the canon of this generation without looking at film
such as "Menace to Society", "Mi Vida Loca" and "Menace to Society".
I just finished a paper about society's construction of "Generation
X" and if you would like some bibliography information, let me know.

Rachel Bell