SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Charlatan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 1994 19:27:37 -0400
On Fri, 21 Oct 1994, Randy Riddle wrote:

> I'm sorry Patrick, but are you discounting Welles extensive stage and
> radio experience from his preparation for making films?
>
> It seems to me that many filmmakers of the past (Welles, Sturges,
> Coppola, etc) had a more more well-rounded liberal arts education, often with
> more knowledge of classic literature, theater, music, or film
> history itself, than alot of the young filmmakers I'm seeing today.
>
> Randy A. Riddle

Well isn't that a rather pompus attitude to take. Unless I misunderstand
your post, you are suggesting that unless a filmmaker has a "more
well-rounded liberal arts education, often with more knowledge of classic
literature, theatre, music or film hisory..." he or she is somehow
inferior. This is just a lot of hot air. Anyone can and should make a
film who can get their hands on a camera. The last thing we need is to
have all of our films (cannonized or whatever) come from a certain "elite".

So Tarantino worked in a video store...big deal. His literature is the
films of these so-called great directors you listed above. Simply
viewing their films is or can be film school enough.

THIS IS NOT A FLAME

Steve................................Toronto, Canada