SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Andrew Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 1994 09:27:50 EDT
There has been some speculation on this list as to the origins of the
term "clockwork orange."  Yes, it was not invented by director Stanley
Kubrick, an American, but derives from the novel by Anthony Burgess,
an Englishman.  What I have heard of the derivation of the term is
that Burgess had been living in Asia (in Malaysia, I think), where
the term "orang" means "man" (as in the animal "orangutan," literally
"forest man" in Malay).  Thus a clockwork orange is a clockwork man,
which is what Alex becomes when the government experiments on him.
A clockwork orange is a robot.  Andrew Gordon