SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Amy Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 1994 22:53:01 EDT
I may be mistooken, but I think David Lynch used
Smithee's moniker when he was unpleased (and
rightfully so) with the final cut of _Dune_,
the last film he made over which he did not
retain complete directorial control and final
cut. Is Smithee (a forger? the commonest name?)
just part of the wider phenomenon of contemporary
refusal of accountability for one's actions/
decisions? Hmm... one for a list that revels
more in analyzing stuff to death...

Off to grade 600 midterms --

Amy

Amy Nelson