SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Timothy Billings <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 1994 09:43:41 -0400
Hi, Lynda.

I just thought I would tell you, in the event that no one else does and also
if the list should screen out your posting...

One cannot reply personally to a message that has been posted on the list
simply by using "reply," even though the email says "from:
[log in to unmask]"  Since the original post was routed through the list, any
replies one makes to it are sent out to everyone on the list.  So your
request to whatshisname was sent to several hundred people, instead of just
to him.  In order to send personal responses, one has to make a note of that
person's address, then type that at the To: line in the composer window.
Since many lists do not send you a copy of your own posts (it assumes that
you know what you wrote and don't want another copy of it to download), it
is easy for people never to realize all this and continue to do it over and
over.  As you can guess, sending what is meant to be a *personal* reply to
hundreds of people, depending on the nature of the communication, has
potentially grave consequences.  This just happened to a friend of mine.

Ciao, Timothy