SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Matt McAllister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 1994 08:25:54 -0500
A few comments about movie remakes of TV shows:

I talk about this issue in my "Media in Society" class as another
manifestation of how the perception of a large teenager audience can
influence mainstream motion picture decision making. Most of these movies
are based upon TV shows that are shown in post-school afternoon re-runs, or
are TV shows explicitly aimed at young audiences (like the SNL shows listed
below).

Aside from the examples mentioned in previous posts, there's also the
strong "Saturday Night Live" remakes, including _The Blues Brothers_,
_Wayne's World(s)_, _Coneheads_, and the ill-fated _It's Pat_ (ill-fated
because, apparently, it's not a very good movie). Also, according to
Variety, there are several other TV-ized movies either in development or
soon to be released, including _Mission: Impossible_ (with Tom Cruise);
_Green Acres_; _Hogan's Heroes_; _The Love Boat_; _My Favorite Martian_;
and _The Brady Bunch_.

I'm still waiting for _Hollywood Squares: The Movie_... :-)

Matt McAllister
Department of Communication Studies, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061-0311 e-mail: [log in to unmask] ph: 703-231-9830