SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Jajasoon Tlitteu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 1994 10:13:00 -0600
Just thought of another interesting case:

Six Degrees of Separation

Interesting for many reasons, but race is always an issue in the film, even
though in usually not spoken as such. Great film in any regard.

I just want to agree with Don Larsson (sorry if the spelling's wrong) -
race is always an issue in interracial couples, even when someone says
"it's not an issue." So before J Roberson starts another "visualize world
harmony" rant, let me make it clear that in today's current society, the
dominant power structure defines race as an issue. This is not good, but
it is not going to go away by a few academics pretending that it's not
there. I'd rather acknowledge it and wrestle with it and tear the paradigm
in pieces and follow the course of action in my signature.

********
jajasoon tlitteu ([log in to unmask])

"Academic training was instrumental. You have to understand the language
of society before you can start stretching and subverting it and ripping
and tearing it and burning it and watching the plastic drip on the ants."