SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Susan Crutchfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 1994 10:20:26 EST
I haven't seen Kiss Me Deadly, so could someone please tell me what the
McGuffin is in that film which is so remniscent of PF's briefcase. Also,
I know asking for a meaningful interpretation of a McGuffin seems a
cross-purposeful question, but I'm gonna ask anyways: is the McGuffin in
KMD meaningful in any way which dovetails with PF's briefcase?
   Would you say Pf's briefcase is a McGuffin? I wouldn't, because it
seems meaningful to me beyond its role as a plot device. That something
so BeauOOOOtiful plays such a pivotal role in the film (it's what the young
men die for, it's what Jules devotes his last day as a repo/hit man to
returning) suggests, at the very least, a quality of Wallace undeveloped in
the rest of the film. I'm interpreting what's in the briefcase to be of
value only for its aesthetic qualities, but perhaps that's stretching things.

Susan Crutchfield