SCREEN-L  October 1994

SCREEN-L October 1994

Film databases complete pt 2

Ulf Dalquist <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Oct 1994 09:16:09 +0100

8. A brief history of the whole project
=======================================

So where did it all start? Well, it all began back in 1989 when someone
started a discussion in rec.arts.movies about who were the most attractive
looking actresses around. In response to this thread, a college student in the
US began to collect a list of all the actresses, along with the movies they
had appeared in. The list was pretty disorganised to say the least and the
original maintainer disappeared from the net after a few months. At this
point Andy Krieg picked up the list, sorted it properly and began to post it
monthly to rec.arts.movies under the title "THE LIST".

In May of 1989 Chuck Musciano started the Movie Ratings Report, an on-going
poll of movies posted weekly to the group. The two projects remained entirely
separate for a couple of years, but it is appropriate to mention the start
of the report here.

I approached Andy Krieg in July 1990 asking why he didn't do an actors list.
He said he was too busy but suggested I manage one. The actors list was
created early in August and grew very rapidly. It was limited to living
actors (like the actress list) to keep the size down. Being a fan of older
movies I was disappointed that I couldn't include some of my favourite actors
since they were dead. Later that month I asked for volunteers to run a dead
actors/actresses list and when nobody came forward I started the dead list.

At this point it's appropriate to mention the biggest contributor to the cast
lists, Kevin Arvin. Kevin had been collecting movie information on-line and
around this time he agreed to keep us supplied with data - something he's
continued to do every month for the last four years. I estimate that 100,000
entries in the database originate from Kevin and there's no doubt we owe an
awful lot of the success to him.

In September 1990 Dave Knight volunteered to manage a directors list to
complement the cast lists. Seeing all the lists in rec.arts.movies, Grant
Mason, a post-graduate student at Edinburgh, posted a request asking for some
software to search the lists as a whole. Since I already had some very
basic list processing shell scripts, I volunteered to publish them and the
movie database package was born.

Within a month, Jeff Sullivan volunteered to manage a writers list and by
the end of 1990 Michel Hafner was managing the composers and cinematographers
lists. Michel had some ideas on creating master reference lists of names and
titles to keep everything consistent across the lists. He also suggested a
list structure based on relations that was adopted.

Throughout '91 and '92 the lists and software grew rapidly. Support was added
for the movie ratings report and Michel's titles list which now meant you
could access ratings and the year-of-release information in the database.
Michel also launched a master reference list of alternative titles which
enabled lots of redundancy in the database to be eliminated. Some of the
original list managers had to give up their lists so things swapped around a
little during this time. We got access to an FTP site at the University of
Colorado which helped significantly since the data was then available all
the time.

Towards the end of '92 Steve Hammond volunteered to manage a character names
database and Murray Chapman started the trivia list, agreeing to make it
compatible with the software. Early in '93 Colin Tinto volunteered to start
a plot summaries list and February '93 saw the launch of the first version of
the software that was mostly in C. Jon Reeves also joined the team, taking
over the writers list from Andy who had been looking after it temporarily.

Around this time we discussed the idea of making the database available on an
e-mail server somewhere. Alan Jay volunteered to create and run it at the PC
users group in London. The movie mail-server went public in the summer of '93
and receives an average of 400 requests per day, although this rate is rising
continuously.

In August '93 the cast lists were reorganised slightly so that all the data
was available to the movie database package (up until then only entries for
people with a certain number of requests were available publicly).

In September '93 Mark Harding volunteered to manage a biographies list and
the crazy credits section which used to be part of the trivia list. Rob
Hartill set up a WWW interface to the database and the Cardiff movie server
was created. The WWW server receives tens of thousands of requests each
*day* and again this figure is rising. Also at this time, Andre Bernhardt
expressed an interest in porting the movie database software to the Amiga and
a release followed shortly afterwards.

At the end of '93 I took over the actresses list from Andy Krieg who at that
point was the longest serving list manager. The six cast lists were merged
to two, with the posted versions just being subsets of the full versions on
the anonymous FTP sites. New filmography lists for editors, production
designers and costume designers were also released. Henry Lebovic approached
us about an MS-DOS interface to the database that he had been working on.

In March '94 Andre volunteered to manage a producers filmography list, Lars
Joergen Aas a quotes list, Ron Higgins a soundtracks list and Mike Gaines
agreed to make the movie goofs list compatible with the database. Rob began
to look at setting up mirror sites for his heavily used WWW interface
database and there are now mirrors in Mississippi (run by Frank Peters),
Australia (run by Mike Lawley) and Iceland (run by Mark Townley). Also, Henry
released CineBASE, the MS-DOS interface to the database, making the whole
system accessible to even more people.

In May '94 the running times list was added to the database and the cast
lists were reorganised to include the character names, although the char name
information is still managed by Steve as a separate activity.

9. Key to the titles
====================

The titles in the database fall into one of five categories:

 (1) movies, unless otherwise indicated the title is a movie
 (2) made for TV movies, indicated by a (TV) tag
 (3) made for video movies, indicated by a (V) tag
 (4) TV-series, indicated by enclosing the title in "'s
 (5) mini-series, indicated by enclosing the title in "'s and a (mini) tag

10. Key to the symbols appearing in filmographies

The filmography databases enable details of awards earned for or notes on a
particular performance/contribution to be recorded. Each database has a
different set of symbols, although some overlap where appropriate.

Universal Symbols
-----------------
(AA)          = Academy Award winner in relevant category
(AAN)         = Academy Award nomination in relevant category
(GG)          = Golden Globe winner in relevant category
(GGN)         = Golden Globe nomination winner in relevant category
(BFA)         = British Academy Award ( = British Film Award )
(Cesar)       = French Academy Award
(David)       = Italian Academy Award
(Felix)       = European Academy Award ( = European Film Award )

Title Key
---------
(D)           = Documentary
(A)           = Animated Film
(Se)          = Serial
(Sh)          = Short feature

Acting Key
----------
(S:AA)         = academy award winner (best supporting actor/actress)
(S:AAN)        = academy award nominee (best supporting actor/actress)
(C:GG)         = golden globe winner (best comedy/musical actor/actress)
(C:GGN)        = golden globe nominee (best comedy/musical actor/actress)
(S:GG)         = golden globe winner (best supporting actor/actress)
(S:GGN)        = golden globe nominee (best supporting actor/actress)
(N:GG)         = golden globe winner (best newcomer)

Writers Key
-----------
(song)        =  The writer is the author (composer?) of a song on
                 which the screenplay was based.
(story)       =  The writer contributed on the story for the
                 screenplay only or the writer is the author of a
                 story on which the movie was based.
(play)        =  The writer is the author of the play on which the
                 screenplay was based.
(novel)       =  The writer is the author of the novel on which the
                 screenplay was based.
(novel XXX)   =  The writer is the author of the novel on which the
                 screenplay was based, but the novel is not the same
                 title as the movie.
(book)        =  The writer is the author of the book on which the
                 screenplay was based.
(article)     =  The writer is the author of the article on which the
                 screenplay was based.
(operetta)    =  The writer is the author of the operetta on which the
                 screenplay was based.
(also XXX)    =  The writer was involved in some other aspect than just
                 writing the screenplay.  They may have authored the novel
                 the screenplay was based on, or developed the story, etc.