SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 1994 09:19:07 -0600
Ed O'Neill writes:
"Re: cats, although not accidentally murdered ones...
There's a fabulous Dario Argento segment of a film called "Two Evil
Eyes," drawn from a Poe story. Harvey Keitel plays a slightly
nuts photographer who tortures his girlfriend's cat and takes
pictures of the poor suffering critter. (This is a diversion from
his usual subject, which is grisly crime scenes.) Eventually,
he kills his girlfriend and walls up her corpse, and, shall we say,
the cat makes a surprise reappearance.
  The whole thing is quite grisly, as you'd expect from Argento,
the crime scenes being notably horrific.
  I hope this helps."

This makes me rack my memory to wonder if a cat (or more) was featured in
one of the episodes of SPIRITS OF THE DEAD, the anthology film that
was made of up short film versions of three Poe tales, directed by Louis
Malle, Roger Vadim and (the best one) Federico Fellini.

--Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN