SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Randy Riddle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 1994 15:25:30 -0400
On Fri, 21 Oct 1994, Patrick B Bjork wrote:

> Ok, so in what way does their "knowledge" make for what (I'm assuming you
> mean) were better films? I ask, because it strikes me that films today are
> different--and certainly some better than others--but I would be
> hardpressed to argue, for instance, that Sullivan's Travels is a better
> film than say A Fish Called Wanda.
>
> --Patrick Bjork
> Bismarck State College

Patrick -- I'm not debating whether the films are better or worse.  I'm
simply making the point that many younger have a much more narrow frame
of reference.

Sturges was inspired in some of his work by classic French playrights and
satrists.  Most people didn't get it in the audience, but the references
are there and fun for those that see them.