SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

Sender:
From:
NAME DANIEL_SALOMONS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 1994 18:59:00 +0100
Comments:
Sent using PMDF-822 V3.0, routing is done by SARA5
A friend of mine, who has no e-mail yet, wants to write a paper about Alan
Smithee. This is a pseudonym first used in 1967 by a director who didn't want
to be held responsible for a movie he had (partly) directed (it was the reason
why he didn't want to put his name on it). Since then, if a director doesn't
want to be responsible for a movie he had directed, the director was named
Alan/Allen Smithee.

My friend would like to have answers to these questions:

1) Who knows more about this name.

2) Who knows about directors who directed, and put the name A>

Alan/Allen Smithee on their movie.

3) Who knows titles of movies directed by A.S..

4) A documentary film was made about this phenomenon. Does anybody know the
title, name of director, name of producer/production company, anyway info
that leads to this documentary.

Well that it. It's quite a lot. On behalf of Gijs, the friend mentioned above,
TIA. Sorry for my bad English, I am not a native speaker. Regards Daniel Salo
Regards Daniel Salomons