SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
J Roberson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 1994 15:39:49 +0600
>need a PowerMAC 8100 AV with 32 MB of RAM and a 500 MB internal
>hard drive, costing about $5,000. You also need an external
>AV hard drive with at least 2 GB of memory to edit a 20 minute

A hard drive is a hard drive - there's no such thing as an AV hard drive.
What you want to look for is a hard drive with as little access delay as
possible.

>movie (about $1,500) or 9 GB of memory to edit a feature film
>(about $5,000). You also need a video capturing card to digitize
>a video dub of your film with SMPTE time code and burn-in

Please note: The AV computers come with built-in Composite and S-Video
input/output ports. (I have a 660AV). You may want to spec the quality of
the built-in part; I have heard that third party cards have better quality
digitization than the av boards, but the PowerMacs may have upgraded
boards. Basically, if the AV board is good enough, get an AV. If you
discover a third-part card within your budget that is better, buy a regular
8100AV and throw the card in.

>film code numbers (assuming that you already have a videotape
>player/recorder that uses time code), such as Radius VideoVision
>Studio (about $3,000). Then you will also need an audio capturing
>card and perhaps audio editing software,

I repeat, the AV can already do this; the only reason to get a card is if
you need better quality. I do know that on the sound side, the AV computers
can record CD-quality sound out of the box. However, the editing software
is is not included.

". . .that realm is never long in quiet, where the ruler is a soldier."
             -- Castruchio, *The Duchess of Malfi*, by John Webster.