SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Gorham A Kindem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 1994 08:33:00 EDT
I'm not sure that CD ROM is a good means of storing old films
and videos for archival purposes, because information retrieval
is relatively slow and may inhibit both full frame and full
motion video playback. VideoDisks play back full frame and
full motion video quite well and also facilitate interactive
playback, but it it difficult, if not impossible to get an
entire movie on a single disk. They are also expensive to make.
I think that eventually computer DAT (digital audiotape) backup
for storage and hard drive access on a 9 GB hard drive for
easy and quick access at full frame and full motion video will
be the way to go. Right now the MAC can only access about 2GB
of storage at a time (one partition) for nonlinear editing
units, using inexpensive software, such as Adobe Premiere, but
more expensive professional software and hardware editing
systems, such as AVID, can provide access to an entire film on
a large hard drive. It also takes considerable RAM (Random
Access Memory), at least 32 MB, to make good use of nonlinear
video editing and capturing software, such as Adobe Premiere with
Radius VideoVision Studio.
Gorham Kindem [log in to unmask]