SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Ulf Dalquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 1994 16:30:18 +0100
 Randy Riddle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I recently picked up a hilarious and technically fascinating film from
>Japan on videocassette that I had never heard of before, made around 1992.
>
>Filmed in black and white, it uses stop-motion animation and elaborate
>make up and costume effects to tell the story of a man who basically
>turns into a heap of junkyard rubble.
>
>I'm curious if anyone else has heard of this film and knows anything
>about the filmmaker -- has he/she done anything else?
>
>Considering the recent discussions of "NBK" and "Pulp Fiction", I found
>"Iron Man" interesting in that it combines some very violent, bloody
>sequences with sex, forming an interesting commentary on how pop media
>have combined the two.
>
>The story-telling style is quite similar to that of "NBK" as well.

You lucky sod! You got a great movie to look forward to. There's actually a
Tetsuo/Iron Man II out and, yes it's on video as well (at least in Europe). Made

by the same director (can't remember his name right now and i haven't got either

the tapes or a dictionary around) it's less delirious, less pretentious (the
influences from Lynch's Ereaserhead in the first Tetsuo are a *bit* obvious) and

a lot more coherent. Even if I personally don't recognize the films as the Cult
masterpieces they're considered as in parts of Europe, they're IMHO highly
original pieces of celluloid worth checking out. BTW, 'scuse me for my lousy
english. I'm not native...
Ulf
-- Ulf Dalquist Dept. of Sociology --
 -- Box 114 221 00 Lund SWEDEN --