SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Lee Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 1994 15:26:00 EST
In the middle of Pulp Fiction discussions and the use of music in
Taratino films a different argument developed in relation to Fast Times
at Ridgemont High here amongst fellow film buffs in NY and I thought the
screen-l crowd might get a kick out of it. Plus, if anyone actually does
know the answer, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Here's the scene in question:
Damone (sic) is giving the Rat (sic) his five-point plan. Point 5,
superior to the previous 4 points, is that "when it comes to making out,
put on side 2 of Led Zeppelin IV."

The next scene has the Rat driving Jennifer Jason Leigh (sic) in his
sister's car listening to Kashmir (setting up the hysterical "I'm sorry
they took your sister's tape deck" line later).

Anyway, here's the question:

Is the Rat such a bozo that he puts on Physical Graffiti instead of Led
Zeppelin IV (a brilliantly subtle joke for Zepellin fans)?

OR

Did the producers put the wrong song in (or couldn't get the rights to
Zep IV)?

And thanks to Corey, Ashley and Stuart for their help in leading me to
documentation on Oscar Micheaux a few weeks back.

Lee