SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
"J. Hoppe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 1994 13:55:01 -0500
Since you leave it so open ("American films") you leave the gate open for
me to list my favorites. These all seem to me to take American culture as
a main subject, and comment on it, usually in dark ways (my favorite way):

Musts:

Taxi Driver
Blue Velvet
Psycho
Nashville
Full Metal Jacket (yes, Kubrick is a Brit, but so what? Vietnam was an
   American War)
Paris Is Burning
Miller's Crossing
The Godfather Part II

Possibles:

Glengarry Glen Ross
The Player
Lolita
The Last Picture Show
Night of the Hunter
Roger & Me (funny/angry documentary about GM plant closings)
Do the Right Thing
The Manchurian Candidate

I'd love to teach a course with this film list.

John Hoppe