SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Klaus Eder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 1994 20:52:05 +0100
>Date:    Mon, 3 Oct 1994 15:02:44 PDT
>From:    Stephen Tropiano <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: MIKAEL/HOMO GERMAN FILM
>
>I am trying to locate a copy of the 1924 Carl T. Dreyer film, MIKAEL
>(also known as MICHAEL or its US release title CHAINED).  The film
>stars Walter Slezak and is bsaed on a story by Herman Bang. The film
>was shot in 1924 and releasedin the US in 1927.

I don't know if MICHAEL is the right object for your project. Yes, it
is a German movie, produced by Erich Pommer and his UFA, camera: Karl
Freund ans Rudolf Mate (both important cameramen for the German ex-
pressionism). Yes, the story has something to do with your theme (young
man leaves rich artist because of a young woman). But Carl Theodor
Dreyer is Danish and much closer to Nordic traditions (from light to
religion) than to German culture. And he never treated the subject of
homosexuality in an intense way.

>Ulli Lommel's TENDERNESS OF THE
>WOLVES

Original title: Die Zaertlichkeit der Woelfe (ae, oe: umlaut)

>Peter Kern's STREETKID (GOSSENKIDN),
>DAS KONSEQUENCE (saw it recnetly at the Gay and Lesbian festivals in
>San Francisco and LOS ANGELES); and THE THIRD SEX.

DIE KONSEQUENZ is one of Wolfgang Petersen's early works, and maybe one
of his best films (and certainly more interesting and more personal than
DAS BOOT, not to speak about his Hollywood movies). -- But what, for
heaven's sake, is THE THIRD SEX? (Do American distributors translate
foreign titles in the same stupid way as, for example, German
distributors do translate American titles?)

Have a look on some of the NAZI films: homosexuality in the army, the
Wehrmacht -- never shown directly of course, but you can feel the world
of friendship between men.

Rainer Werner Fassbinder. In particular DEUTSCHLAND IM HERBST (first
episode), BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ, and QUERELLE. There is, by the way,
an article written by Fassbinder, where he confessed to be homosexual,
and described how he discovered to be homosexual. I don't know if this
text ever was translated into English.

Klaus Eder