SCREEN-L Archives

October 1994

From:
Lauren Helwig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 1994 20:45:26 EDT
Richard J. Leskosky wrote:
<<<Just a few quick observations:
1)  Butch doesn't know that Marcellus is
being raped when he decides to go
back for him, although he can be pretty sure that
some sort of torture in
being inflicted.  (I don't think that what we here
coming from the closed
room really indicates what is going on, but
I might have missed something.)
2)  The fact that Marcellus was the victim of
a rape reinforces his
gratitude toward Butch but also his need to
have him banned from L.A. since
he is the only one who knows Marcellus' shame.
3)  I don't recall either Butch or Marcellus
reviling their former and/or
late captors for their sexual orientation (again,
I might be forgetting
something) but erather, if anything, for their
S/M proclivities.  So I'm
not at all sure that homophobia is the
operative principle here.
--Richard>>>
1], 2] and 3] How do WE (or some of US) know that
he's being raped and willis-- er, I mean butch--
does not?  As some have noted re the weapon choice,
willis/butch knows. I think, as you suggest, you may have
missed something. If homophobia is not an at least
partially "operative principle"--however ironized--
why should Marcellus be shamed?????
Lauren