SCREEN-L Archives

August 1994

From:
Ed Haupt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 1994 11:57:20 EDT
Well, True Lies represents dumbing down, ...

Let me flame a little!

True Lies represents dumbing down--it is exquisitely stereotyped.

The first time you hear the guards speaking German, you know they are
the bad guys.

And the grey uniforms--you have to wear one to show you're working for the
Nazis/arab terrorists.

I was glad I didn't find a credit for Mr. Schwarzenegger's French coach--
the accent was AWFUL.

The fancy dress ball was wonderful for showing how decadent the rest of the
world is--but Americans (Schwarzenegger) can do anything (tango).

The definition of love is that females get weepy and say "I always loved him"
while males get to torture the alleged boyfriend and wife.  OJ, are you
watching?

I thought the strip scene was really an homage to Rosa von Praunheim in
Ueberleben in New York.

I missed John Belushi.  He would have made a great terrorist.  After all,
wasn't it just a food fight with flamethrowers and uzis?

And did they really have to look down Curtis' dress at the end of the
helicopter rescue scene?

True lies is mysogynistic, xenophobic, sadistic ... I really don't know
which one to place first.

and it gives new meaning to AMERICAN CULTURE as an oxymoron.
 Edward J. Haupt
snail:                                    voice: 1(201) 655-4327
Department of Psychology               internet: [log in to unmask]
Montclair State University               bitnet: haupt@njin
1 Normal Ave.                               fax: 1(201) 655-5455
Upper Montclair, NJ 07043-1624
                      USA